Kim's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aug 10, 14

bookshelves: ok-2-3-star, 2011-reading-challenge
Read in November, 2011

This was a bit of a disappointment for me. It did read like a mediocre young adult book, that said because the characters were lacking and it seemed to attempt to emulate something of a Harry Potter world, but it failed in execution. I thought I would like the idea of her using photographs to give the story some direction and make it more believable, but it really ended up just confusing my view of the character when I made my mental image based off her description, only to see the photograph look nothing like what I had imagined. The way she integrated them into the story ended up segmenting it. It read like something that I was told to do in a Creative Writing class in High School, and not something that I would like to invest more energy to read if she ever continues this into a series.

It did get better as the story continued, but I feel like some characters were completely forgotten, and others were forgotten only to pop up to end the story, doing something that was totally out of character from the rest of the book. I'm glad I waited to buy it on sale and didn't get it for full price.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.