Oceana2602's Reviews > Cape Cod

Cape Cod by Henry David Thoreau

Sep 18, 08

bookshelves: 2008, travel-literature, english, male-writers
Recommended for: people born in the 19th century, Cape Cod travelers, writers who want to learn
Read in March, 2008

Oh, Mr. Thoreau. I'm so sorry for not doing you justice and for not giving you the five stars you undoubtedly deserve. But see, the rating systems asks me if "I" really liked the book, and well, my taste just isn't as good as your writing.
I sincerely apologize.

I took your book with me when I traveled to a long, rather narrow German island, that shall remain unnamed for I fear people will not take me serious anymore if they know where I spent my vacations. Two weeks ago, Germany being in the middle of a late winter, just me, the beaches, the dog and the snow. I thought this would be an ideal setting for reading about Cape Cod, being close to the sea and the sand. I thought that it would be easy to imagine being there with you.

But it wasn't. It was actually very very hard to imagine. Your brilliant descriptions of the landcsape, your sharp way of looking and writing about the people you meet, all made it hard not to picture Cape Cod. But your journey itself left me strangely cold. Nothing like the rush of moving through the country with Theroux, of wandering (often away from the subject) with Chatwin. Yes, I know, I shouldn't even compare, but I think we can both live with me preferring other travel writers over you, especially with you being dead and not being able to disagree.

I fully acknowledge that you are a wonderful writer, I am happy you were there to influence some of the writers I adore these days. And yes, I believe I would have been able to enjoy your book much more had I been traveling Cape Cod, instead of being stuck on above mentioned, still-remaining-nameless island. Maybe it was just the difference in age that prevented us from becoming better friends. Whatever the reason, our ways shall part at this point. Who knows, maybe we will meet again later in life, by chance. (but don't hold your breath).

Yours sincerely,

Oceana
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cape Cod.