Jon's Reviews > The Warded Man

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

Feb 07, 13

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in October, 2011

Another great fantasy novel by an author I've never heard of. This book has a few problems that bug me a little. I generally like fantasy books where the magic system is logical. I like to see that the author thought about how it should all work together. This book doesn't do a whole lot of that. There is a little toward the end but it seams to be more of a passing comment than a great revelation. Despite this lack of structure, I still enjoyed the book very much. It is a good story of insurmountable odds and the author does a great job of painting a picture in your mind while moving the plot along at a good speed. He also doesn't dwell on events that take lots of time to draw out, such as training in wards or healing. He skips forwards many years in time and does so seamlessly without loosing any feel for who the characters are.
Brett hits my limit of 3 sub-plots but spends most of his time focusing on one character, which I appreciate. The other two sub-plots are much less interesting and I think Brett spent way too much time focusing on the girls romance troubles (I can't tihnk of her name right now). But, these shortcomings don't disctract too much from the well written book. Despite my issues I still give it 5 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warded Man.