Manny's Reviews > Devil of the Highlands

Devil of the Highlands by Lynsay Sands

Aug 02, 2011

bookshelves: pooh-dante, not-to-read

Freak Talent Baffles Researchers

Scientists at the world-famous Goodreads Institute of Bodice-Ripping Studies say they are "baffled" by a man who is able to evaluate a book simply by picking it up and riffling through it for five seconds.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil of the Highlands.

08/11/2015 marked as: not-to-read

message 1: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker Ah, the rainman of books.

message 2: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Whitaker wrote: "Ah, the rainman of books."

Hey, you're right! I bet there's a movie in this.

notgettingenough I just have to say, I've been chuckling all day over this. Hilarious.

notgettingenough I mean...

message 5: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny notgettingenough wrote: "Obviously there isn't really a man who could do that? I mean, it IS a joke, isn't it?"

I understand that Uri Geller claims to be able to do it blindfolded while simultaneously bending two spoons. He wouldn't lie to us, would he?

message 6: by Marvin (last edited Aug 03, 2011 07:20AM) (new)

Marvin Personally, covers like that send me screaming to my well-worn copy of Debbie Does Dallas: The Novelization.

message 7: by Autumn (new)

Autumn I thought that it was The Amazing Kreskin that could bend spoons with his mind. I could be mistaken.

message 8: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny The spoonbending seems to be well-documented. I must confess that I'm still a little sceptical about the instant literary criticism, but what do I know?

message 9: by Autumn (new)

Autumn I liked your prereview of what appears to be a trashy novel. I never would have noticed the book unless you pointed it out. Thanks. :)

message 10: by Marvin (new)

Marvin As evidenced by this clip from The Tonight Show, Uri also has the uncanny ability to know when a set has been rigged against magic tricks in a instance.

message 11: by Brad (new)

Brad Shit. I was going to mention Geller, and then I get to message 5 and there's Geller, so then I thought, "Amazing Kreskin" and I hit message 7 and there's Kreskin. Who's left? The Great Ravine?

Hilarious, as always, Manny.

message 12: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Thank you Brad! Clearly, every self-respecting mentalist in town will have added this to his act by the time we hit the Christmas season. Most likely before Thanksgiving.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Winkler You amuse me. Ha!

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye notgettingenough wrote: "I mean...

I assumed Manny was the man, more importantly I assumed he was "really a man" and a savant to boot.

message 15: by Trice (new)

Trice the trick is to realize... there is no book

message 16: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Trice wrote: "the trick is to realize... there is no book"

I like your Zen take on it. There is no book, and no reader. And no romance either.

But, somehow, I still feel there are nipples. I have not yet reached Enlightenment.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye When it comes to breasts, there's a limit to the appeal of non-attachment.

message 18: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Ian wrote: "When it comes to breasts, there's a limit to the appeal of non-attachment."

Philip Roth and Woody Allen have both in different ways done their best to push that limit, but I think you're right.