Katherine's Reviews > This Is Not Your City

This Is Not Your City by Caitlin Horrocks

Jun 10, 2012

bookshelves: fiction
Read from June 07 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy

"She taught me to quilt years ago. I've always done it by myself. Quilting circles seem like a dumb idea. I don't want to sit around and listen to people bellyache. My problems are mine. No one else's. I've never really liked quilting that much" (22).
“In Beulah, Robin would watch people watch her, not hostile, just curious, wondering, What are you? Are you—something? Something different than what we are?
“What are you? Robin was always tempted to ask them. What somethings are all of you?” (62).
“I just won’t wish them, and then when they all don’t happen it won’t mean a thing to me” (89).
“He weighs the cup in his palm and knows wistfully that the drink remains the best, most pleasure-giving thing he will experience that day, or the day after, or the day after that. He will see giraffes and he will hug his grandson and his daughter will smile at him and he will seize his mind on that orangutan cup and he will go to bed and he will wake up so he can have another. This is better than having no reason to wake up at all” (118).
“…patches of snow stayed slumped in the shade of the pine trees until May” (144).
“…and practices speeches to her daughter in her head so often they are threadbare before she has the courage to say them aloud” (145).
“…except for the word problems lurking at the end of every exam” (146).
“…printed with roses and stained brown from the seep of old teabags” (152).
“They pondered the appropriate footwear for a hostage situation” (161).
“…the outlines of 316 people living safely in the side of a leviathan” (169). *describing a cruise ship at night

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Not Your City.