Seesen9's Reviews > Ashes, Ashes

Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: apoccalypse, children-books, read-in-english
Read from August 07 to 11, 2011

For the record let’s make it 2.5★ I don’t want to undermine this book just because I probably wasn’t the target audience. Because it didn’t really feel like YA to me much, more like middle grade early teen book. If I had a younger sibling and wanted to give him a feel of dystopian book without the emotional turmoil caused by YA Hunger Games or Divergent, I would go for Ashes, Ashes.

The dystopia is well done, all the things that could have possibly go wrong happened - floods, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions... Terrible plague killed 99% of the population; Lucy bit by bit reveals how it all happened, how it is to be all alone living in the remains of what once used to be New York. Then she meets Aiden and joins a group of survivors nearby.

The romance begins. A triangle that goes like: Aiden wants Lucy, Luce tries to deny that she wants Aiden too, because it’s obvious that Aiden's friend Dell who hates Lucy wants to be more than Aiden's friend. Nothing special. Nothing worth living for, so to speak. All within the boundaries of middle grade lit.

Plot is fairly simple, without any significant twists, none that the reader wouldn’t expect. I couldn’t believe my eyes when face to face with the bad guys Lucy goes soft, believes their poor excuses, forgets all the significant details that should make her bolt and run... Lucy suddenly acts all kinds of stupid. She survived in the NY wilderness on her own, she must be smarter than that, mustn’t she?

Final complaints:
Almost everybody is dead – shouldn’t survivors of the plague have huge supply of everyday stuff? Lucy’s most prized possession is a knife.
x
Almost everybody is dead – how long can a medical facility go on functioning? Having electricity? Fuel for driving cars?

All in all it’s no more than an average read. Which probably doesn’t stand a chance amidst all the other competition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes, Ashes.

08/07/2011 page 120