Zach's Reviews > The Anubis Gates

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

M 50x66
Mar 07, 2007

Recommended for: People who don't mind reading about English professors time travelling.
Read in February, 2007

Bitchin', this book was bitchin'. If you have any interest in William Faulkner, Proust, or Seamus Heaney, then you might like this book, because it has some poetry in it. But there are no real instances of class or racial issues, and it isn't really related to anything French or Irish, for that matter. The book does have words.

Essentially, Tim Powers devised a shit load of really off-the-wall (mostly supernatural) characters, threw them in an old, worn Adidas shoe box, shook it up a bit, and tossed it out like dice to see if it resembled a plot.

Actually, that's being harsh. There was a plot; it involves time travel. And Lord Byron, to an extent.

I'd say that Powers is the type of author people who play video games or Dungeons and Dragons would enjoy. I, however, played Vampire the Masquerade: we were a different breed of nerd. That said, there was something refreshing about the twists and surprises Powers was able to concoct in this tale of time-traveling shenanigans. It is one of the few recent books I've read that made me remember why I like reading. That, despite my inability to finish any of my English books, I am not a complete failure, regarding books. I like books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anubis Gates.