Sterling R.'s Reviews > The Dharma Bums

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

Aug 02, 11

Read in August, 2011

The Dharma Bums wasn't my favorite Kerouac novel; its flow was a little too choppy for my tastes.

I did, however, love a number of pieces of wisdom I found interlaced throughout the book included this:

"Everything was fine with the Zen Lunatics, the nut wagon was too far away to hear us. But there was a wisdom in it all, as you'll see if you take a walk some night on a suburban street and pass house after house on both sides of the street each with the lamplight of the living room, shining golden, and inside the little blue square of the television, each living family riveting its attention on probably one show; nobody talking; silence in the yards; dogs barking at you because you pass on human feet instead of on wheels. You'll see what I mean, when it begins to appear like everybody in the world is soon going to be thinking the same way and the Zen Lunatics have long joined dust, laughter on their dust lips. Only one thing I'll say for the people watching television, the millions and millions of the One Ye: they're not hurting anyone while they're sitting in front of that Eye. But neither was Japhy. . . ."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dharma Bums.