Kyle's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

M 50x66
Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, favorite-characters, favorites, mind-blowing, need-the-sequel-to-live, phenominal, post-apocalyptic, really-excited, unique-setting, violence-galore, what-did-i-just-read, will-definitely-re-read, 2012-favorites, love-story-decent
Recommended for: Adventure Seekers
Read from January 06 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Initially, I didn’t think much of Blood Red Road because – well, I hadn’t heard of the hype surrounding the novel, as hard to believe as that is. Apparently, it was being called the next Hunger Games trilogy, much like another dystopian novel which I didn’t care for too much because I felt like the hype surrounding it wasn’t equivalent to the product, and I felt like it fell flat and was just a wannabe. That’s definitely not the case with BRR. Is it as good and thrilling as The Hunger Games? No, I wouldn’t say that, but it’s still a great read nonetheless. Most of the new dystopians that are recently coming out have really let me down (Under the Never Sky, Legend, The Death Cure, etc) but I went into BRR with high hopes, and those hopes were definitely met, and then surpassed those expectations and truly blew me away!

Point is, pick this book up!

Telling the story of eighteen year old Saba, who lives in a desert wasteland, it chronicles her journey across Sandsea to save her twin brother Lugh, who was kidnapped from their home during a sandstorm by men on horseback, who killed her neighbor and father during his kidnapping. Accompanied by her nine year old sister Emmi, who their mother died giving birth to, they are soon captured and brought to Hopetown, where Saba is forced to become a female cage fighter. All I shall say.

For the most part, every single character in this book made a great impression on me! None of them were creepy stalkers, or wimpy damsels in distress. Saba was fiercely determined, and had this wonderful resourcefulness that I haven’t seen in a female protagonist since Katniss Everdeen, or the girl on fire. Funnily enough, Saba also acquires a nickname during her cage fighting career: the Angel of Death. Jack, Saba’s love interest (that isn’t much of a spoiler if you look through reviews, and read the summary, where he’s described as a “handsome daredevil”, and at the end of the summary it says BRR has an “epic love story”), was also not a bad character at all, but was in fact funny, strong, and entirely likeable! Nero was an awesome character, even if he was a crow, considering at some points he truly acted like a human being, just . . . with limitations because he’s . . . a crow.

The pacing of this novel . . . oh my God, it’s so fast and intense, even until the very end! Okay, I wasn’t fully addicted until about 15 pages in, but before the first part “Silverlake” there are three pages explaining the relationship between Saba and Lugh, and how Lugh goes first, Saba goes second, and those were definitely the hook and sinker for me. The pacing was so fast, that it added to the addictive quality to the book, and it was the #1 reason why I read the book in a little over a day.

This was the first book in awhile that had be staying up later than I wanted to since October (Daughter of Smoke and Bone), and it’s the first book I’ve never wanted to end! Sure, I love other books, but I WANT to know how it all ends, but this book, I knew once I read the last page, I would have to wait months until Rebel Heart comes out. This was the reason why I hadn’t wanted to read it when I did, but I’d read two books in a row that I couldn’t get into, so I needed a good adventure story to get me back into reading.

I love this book, and it’s definitely one of the better dystopian novels published in the past year or so.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.

01/06/2012 "SO EXCITED!!!!"
01/06/2012 page 61
13.0% "So much awesomesauce happens in just 60 pages. I think I'm having a fanguy attack!!!!!" 2 comments
01/07/2012 page 313
68.0% "Why must it come to an end?! I only have less than 150 pages, and then I'll have to wait for Rebel Heart!"
show 1 hidden update…

Katy I agree it is one of the better dystopian novels, but I'm still can't decide if I like it or not. LOL, does that make any sense?

Kyle Yes, it makes a lot of sense! I knew there were problems with it, and it definitely isn't a 5-star "books that changed my life" kind of read, but it was simply the most fun I'd had with a book in a very, very long time. : )