Suze's Reviews > The Widower's Tale

The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass

Aug 02, 11

This was the first time I've read Julia Glass, and I was awed by her character development and stunning prose. I love books that make me think, "Oh, how I wish I could write like this!" Glass's characters are authentic. They deal with their own foibles, beliefs, hurts and carefully guarded self-perspectives as they also attempt to maintain sometimes-fragile family relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed observing the process of Percy's emergence from 30 years of living in the past to reach a future that, while imperfect and full of challenges, also offers a richness he never could have discovered by holding onto his old, narrow approach to life. In the end, the main characters still have numerous issues to address -- Percy is still Percy, of course, but a gentler, more open-hearted version of his old self, and Robert's long-term vocation remains in question -- but they've reached hopeful places. I also liked the fact that Glass doesn't clear up every character's problems by the end of the book. Percy's relationship with Clover, Celestino's relationship with Isabel and the status of Clover's fight to gain custody of her children remain unresolved. Because Glass created characters who are easy to care about, she left me wanting to know more about what happens in their lives beyond the closing page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widower's Tale.