Anna's Reviews > The Twilight Saga

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4753740
You see that one little star? It’s there because I can’t give this series a 0 stars, if I could, I would.

So I’m finally reviewing The Twilight Saga. Ugh, honestly I’d rather not because I know this will make me even more angry about these books, but I had to say my opinion on them. So if I sound angry in this review…. It’s probably because I am.

So let’s get started, shall we?

First of all, I’d like to say that yes, I did love these books the first time I read them, 3 years ago, I was kind of a fangirl over them, but then a couple of reviews opened my eyes and when I re-read them I finally realized how bad these books actually are. Not only did Stephenie Mayer copy a bunch of other vampire books, but she also succeeded at making everything she copied 10 times worse.

Also, I don’t know for you guys, but reading these books made me have such bad headaches. I mean the writing. The writing. I don’t know if she didn’t have an editor or something, but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW CAN BOOKS THIS BADLY WRITTEN BE PUBLISHED. There are so many grammar and syntactical errors that even for me, who doesn’t have English as my first language, noticed them. Not to mention that the dialogues between the characters were atrocious. You know what also surprises me, though? When I read reviews of people who read tons of books and are really good in English and stuff and they say these books are well written. It baffles me. I don’t know what they read, but it can’t be this Saga if they say it’s well written.

Now let’s talk about what probably is the worse aspect of the Twilight Saga. THE CHARACTERS. Bella Swan is probably the character I hate the most of all the books I read. I hate her with a fury passion. She’s just a mary-sue…. or no, rather it’s just Stephenie Mayer who represented herself as Bella. Bella has absolutely no personality whatsoever AND she’s an idiot. In four books I hardly learned anything about her except what she likes to eat for breakfast and that she “was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with [Edward Cullen]. Oh God, kill me now. And what’s up with all these people loving her like she’s the most amazing human on earth. Everyone loves her; everyone wants to be her friend. BUT WHY? There’s nothing appealing about her at. She’s boring, stupid, arrogant, selfish and the only thing she does is complain ALL THE FUCKING TIME. It’s the only thing she’s good at. “Oh no it’s raining, I hate rain, my life sucks”, “Oh no Edward didn’t look at me today”, “OH NOOO, WHY IS EVERYONE IN LOVE WITH ME? MY LIFE IS SOOO HARD”. Ugh, shut up.

Edward. Ok, I could understand why some people love him so much, but when you really look at him, he’s nothing else than a creepy stalker. And before thinking that you want a boyfriend like him think about this: Would you like a boyfriend that watches you while you sleep, that breaks something in you car so you can’t go see your guy friend, that controls your every movement, won’t let you out of his sight and insults you. NO I DON’T THINK SO.

So Edward and Bella’s relationship was just a big joke for me. First of all I don’t even understand why he’d fall in love with a silly little girl like her, who doesn’t have anything interesting about her.

And last but not least, I’d like to mention some of the things these books teach people. 1. How important it is to have a boyfriend, how you CAN’T live without having a boyfriend. Remember in New Moon when Edward left Bella? And then Mayer decided to skip four (I believe it was four, I’m not quite sure) whole months of Bella’s life. What does that tell you? That when your boyfriend leaves you, you don’t have a life anymore. So girls, make sure you have a boyfriend, ok? Cause otherwise, 2. JUST KILL YOURSELF. Now remember when that dumb girl decided to jump off a cliff? Yeah? Wow, what a great message for teens, right? 3. P.E.D.O.P.H.I.L.I.A. I don’t care if Edward looks like a 17-year-old boy, BECAUSE MENTALLY HE’S STILL A 107 YEAR OLD MAN. If he weren’t a vampire he’d be a 107-year-old man in love with a 17-year-old teenage girl. And I don’t think anyone would be interested in reading such a book, I’m sure of it. Also I won’t even talk of Jacob, who in Breaking Dawn, imprints Bella and Edward girl who was born not even 10 minutes ago. Now I won’t go in details of the other messages that these books contain but just to name a few: abuse, anti-feminism, teenage pregnancy, selfishness, don’t get to attached to your friends cause they’re just a backup group of people who you don’t really like, you stand in the way of your mom’s and boyfriend happiness, so go away, if your boyfriend is mean to you, it doesn’t matter, just love him even more, if you fall in love with someone then leave your family for them, AND SO ON.

You know, I find it quite funny when I see some people say “But you don’t have to analyze it too much, it’s just for fun”. No it’s not. I’m not going to pretend that these messages aren’t there, that the characters, the writing and everything else aren’t bad. If you want to do that then go ahead, but it’s still there.

Now I’m gonna finish this here because the more a write the more anger I have for Twilight.



42 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twilight Saga.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte ...Edward Collins?


message 2: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Charlotte wrote: "...Edward Collins?"

Cullen whatever i don't care.


message 3: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Archer wrote: "Pedward.... it's just better"

hahaha !
where's the like button when you need it ?


message 4: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Archer wrote: "I can't take credit for it. One of my friends coined the phrase but I do love it lol"

I think I might have to start using it now haha


message 5: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna lol ! that's awesome


message 6: by M (new)

M I like your review!


message 7: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Thank you !


Gina your review was spot on. I read the books really fast the first time and liked them, but when I re-read them I thought they were crap.


message 9: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Gina wrote: "your review was spot on. I read the books really fast the first time and liked them, but when I re-read them I thought they were crap."

exactly what happened for me too ;)
and thanks !


Applepie Even tho I see the twilight differently than you do I have to admit u really opened my eyes of the series and really was perfect at explaining your point. Really thank you!


message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Applepie wrote: "Even tho I see the twilight differently than you do I have to admit u really opened my eyes of the series and really was perfect at explaining your point. Really thank you!"

Well, then, I consider that as my good deed of the day :)


message 12: by Maria (new) - rated it 1 star

Maria i love this review. now i don't have to write one of my own because you summed it all up for me. although i probably will anyway...


Amanda Johnson Great review. So true and so funny. I first read these books in middle school when I was about 14 or so and had NO appreciation for good writing. I only liked the books because my friends did. I think I read the first one, and after the second I finally realized how FUCKING IDIOTIC it was. I hated Bella from the start... you hit the nail on the head with her discription. Anyway, thank you for writing a review that actually informs people the disgusting reality of the Twilight Saga.


message 14: by M (new)

M Re read your review. You capture emotions so nicely :) Twilight is so bad!


Yousra I couldn't have said it any better. I only gave it a two to be generous.


message 16: by Kaitlynn (new) - added it

Kaitlynn Schoolfield u have no idea what a good book is ur just som twwnager tht thinks she knows whats shes talking about IDOIT!!!!!!!!


message 17: by M (last edited Sep 04, 2012 08:48AM) (new)

M "Idiot", says the one with lots of mispellings. I think you should learn to respect other's opinions.


message 18: by Maria (new) - rated it 1 star

Maria Danna wrote: ""Idiot", says the one with lots of mispellings. I think you should learn to respect other's opinions."

Seconded.


message 19: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina Best review EVER! Loved it :)


Stephanie McCown I love this review! I wrote a similar, though less anger-fueled, review. I did think the writing was good, only in the sense that it pulls the reader into the story. I noticed some of the errors, but I have noticed errors in many other books by authors of much higher caliber that Stephenie Meyer. I think the editors just don't catch it all, especially when they have a series that they know the are gonna market the hell out of and make it a success. They are in a hurry to get it in the shelf and start making sales.

Anyway ...Bella is an incredibly boring character, and I remember waiting to learn more about her and what lies behind the limp dishrag act, only to come to the end of the series and realize that the answer is ...nothing. She is just a limp dishrag. Fairly utilitarian, but otherwise useless.

I love your take on Edward! Right on! He is immortal and could spend his time doing worthwhile things, like finding a cure for cancer or something, and instead uses his advantage to stalk and seduce a teenage girl. Gross!


Roxana Thank you!!!! These books don't deserve the publicity they got because they are horrible. Bella is definitely Stephenie Meyer's fantasy-self (hence the zero character development), which honestly grosses me out. And another thing- if the other vampires have sex all the time and never make babies, that means their eggs and sperm are dead, right? SO HOW DOES BELLA GET PREGNANT??! EDDIE'S SPERMIES ARE DEAD!!! IT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!! It doesn't matter if her V is working because his P isn't. I hate Stephenie Meyer. Worst. Author. Ever. And the worst effing series ever.


Amanda Andersson This is the best review of a book I've ever read!


message 23: by Shahroo (new)

Shahroo Hat's off! I have nothing but respect for you my friend.


Rasika Bhargava ohh excuse me whosoever u r I m a twilight fan....and u dont ve any right say such bad things about twilight or stephine meyer....nd if they had made mistakes dey r only human...u r mad saying things about twilight


message 25: by Jesselyn (new)

Jesselyn Olivia i'm a twilight fan, if you say this book was terrible, can you write even better? don't speak like you can write a better book . If you halte this book just throw it anyway, don't be so fierce -_-


message 26: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Eh, I didn't really mind the teen pregnancy since she was married. To be honest, I'll have to reread the series to see how bad it is, because I remember in 6th grade I read it, and I liked it. Now I'm in 9th grade. Let's see how much my opinion has changed...


back to top