Kucing Kembar's Reviews > Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?

Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? by Raymond Carver

F_50x66
Apr 02, 08

Read in April, 2008

I became interested in reading Carver after stumbling upon his short story in the New Yorker a while ago. This was the longer version of an already published story, which -apparently- had been tightly edited by his long time editor. Carver, as it turned out, is well known for his terse but deeply-contoured short stories.

I did not know about Carver before then, which was a shame noting that I fell in love with one of Tess Galagher's poems that might have the presence of Carver in it (Carver, I only found out recently, was Tess Gallagher's long time partner).

Carver's story is like braille. What is absent is as essential as what is present. And you can actually read what is not there in writing, and you shudder, realizing how silence, absence, the not-there, can be so piercing. It takes a master to achieve that. If you are curious of what I meant, read the story titled "The Father."

The New Yorker article about Carver mentioned that Tess Gallagher is trying to re-publish some of his short stories in full, i.e. in the form that Carver had wanted to publish them before his (quite famous) editor edited them. (A letter quoted by the New Yorker revealed how Carver literally pleaded that his editor do not edit his final version further. This is revealing of the nature of their relationship).

I am quite curious now, having read two of his short story books, to compare the two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?.