Christine's Reviews > The Hypnotist

The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler

Aug 02, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in July, 2011

With the success of the Stieg Larsson books, inevitably, comparisons are made to books by other Swedish writers. I had been hearing so much hype about this book I had to go from one book of “umlauted” names right into the next. Again, a very intriguing murder mystery but with a totally different tone. As the book opens we meet Detective Inspector Joona Lina, investigating a particularly nasty homicide of apparently an entire family. We soon discover that two children are alive, one sister who was not at home and the youngest son, in terrible medical peril from the injuries he suffered and, the only person who can identify the killer. Suspecting that the sister is in mortal danger they decide to hypnotize the boy to try and find out the killer’s name. Enter Dr. Erik Bark, renowned hypnotist, but one who promised never to practice hypnosis again. Against his better judgment he agrees to hypnotize the boy. This single act begins the unraveling of an astonishing story.

As in the Larsson books this book is filled with a vast cast of characters … admittedly a bit difficult to follow at the beginning. But as the story evolves they all fall into place and take the reader on a mad road of twists and turns to get to the end.

Is this book better than Larsson’s? For me, I enjoyed the Dragon Tattoo series more. The reason I feel that way is because it became a little tiresome to read about the relationship between Dr. Bark and his wife.

Would I read more by this author? Definitely.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hypnotist.