Jennifer's Reviews > Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes

Good Evening, Mrs Craven by Mollie Panter-Downes

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: 2011, world-war-2, short-stories
Read from August 02 to 06, 2011

I bought this book because I loved the packaging - a small square paperback with cover flaps showing a detail of the painting A Queue at the Fish Shop (Persephone Publishing knows how to make an attractive little book!). It was the perfect picture to use for a book of tiny slices of life in England during war time. These stories are truly gems. While I always knew that women and children evacuated London for the country during the bombings I haven't read that much about what every day life must have been like - both from the point of view of the evacuee and, even more interesting and at times entertaining, the point of view of the hostess. These stories depict people dealing with life as it marched on during wartime. I particularly enjoyed the recurring stories of the sewing circle ladies debating sewing pajamas for the Greeks. Every story was insightful, some humorous, others heart breaking but all of them pitch perfect.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Evening, Mrs Craven.