rameau's Reviews > Idun: Sagan om Valhalla

Idun by Johanne Hildebrandt

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, language-finnish-translation, genre-historical, geo-scandinavian, read-in-2011
Read from August 02 to 04, 2011

Looking at the title you might mistakenly think this book is about Idun, Freya's and Thor's daughter. It isn't. Idun never gets a chance to grow into a whole character, she's reduced into a plot point in her parents tale as are other characters too.

That shouldn't be a problem, because I loved Freya, but years have changed her into something unrecognisable. I guess the power and might of the Moon goddess, and personal sacrifices can do that to a woman, but this tragedy too is downplayed into lunacy.

The story ends up being about no one and everyone. Most of all Idun is about Scandinavian bronze age and the legends they left behind. The world is disturbingly real, but it's not enough. This reworking of old Nordic myths needs more character.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Idun.

08/02/2011
24.0% "I used to love Freija, I don't anymore. What the hell happened?"
08/03/2011
50.0% "Well, that was a bit too easy."
08/03/2011
64.0% "There are only so many times I can read someone describing themselves stupid and worthless without ever showing any sign of backbone or spirit. Idun has crossed that line. And when things are as they are with Freya, how am I supposed to continue reading this?"