John's Reviews > Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job

Quitter by Jon Acuff

Aug 02, 2011

Read in August, 2011

Acuff's target audience is people who have a dream and are dying to quit their day job. His message is: don't. Not yet, anyway.

Why not? Because Acuff wants you to fully understand the risks of quitting a steady desk job for an uncertain dream. He wants you to have a plan to follow your dream, but not such a rigorous schedule that you plan your dream to death. And he wants your family in your corner.

Acuff doesn't give you a book full of checklists, worksheets and exercises. What he gives instead is clear entertaining prose that makes clear he's been in the same place you are. He recounts all the same fears that you're having right now (I highlighted more passages in this book than I do in most others) and explains how to live with them. This isn't a manual; it's a philosophy.

Two caveats. First, a little more concrete guidance would have been nice. I know everyone's dream is different, but a Seven Step Plan to Making Your Dream Secure wouldn't have hurt. Second, Acuff makes a point of talking about his Christian faith. However, most of that comes in background discussion. At no point does he suggest in the power of prayer to make your dreams come true. As a hardcore atheist, I found this reassuring.

Inspirational and useful, though more the former than the latter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quitter.