Veazey's Reviews > Bound

Bound by Donna Jo Napoli

Aug 02, 2011

Read in August, 2011

This book was a pleasant surprise. Honestly, when I began, I didn't know what to expect. To my surprise, it is a retelling of Cinderella...though I couldn't figure that part out until the very end.

I had picked this book up late one night, about ten o'clock, because I was having some particuarly bad pain in my stomach and I couldn't sleep. I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting, getting to sleep around 1 am. It was very engaging, and ended up being a really good painkiller! Haha....books usually keep my mind occupied when I'm sick or aching.

I really liked the characters and how calm the narrorator's voice is in this. It doesn't use fancy details or cynical main characters to give it it's own personality, and that I can appreciate. I did enjoy how refreshing this version of Cinderella was. The stepsister and stepmother are not entirely evil, just more...eh...set in their ways, I suppose? While they both do some rather wicked things to the poor Xing Xing, I really felt more pity for them than anything. When you can have a good villian you both dislike and pity, that's good writing, I think!

Overall, I really enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. I would definitely pick this up again if I was in the mood for a good subtle fairy tail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.