Dan's Reviews > The Return of the King

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

5941940
Aug 03, 2011

The Lord of the Rings story represents to me the epitome of an epic adventure saga. It's a traditional hero's journey, fraught with danger and adversity, friends and enemies, war and the noble quest to bring peace. I have never felt more a part of a world than Middle Earth during the Second War of The Ring. Also, in comparison to other adventure stories, especially those of this nature, the Lord of the Rings stands alone for me as feeling like the largest scale. Tolkien does a great job of describing the effect of Frodo's quest on the peoples of Middle Earth, he develops countless characters and the war seemingly has infinite reach, beyond even the borders of Middle Earth itself. Even intergalactic adventure stories like Star Wars or even the Harry Potter series doesn't seem to exhibit the scope of their story beyond its effect on the central characters and environments. Actually, having read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, that series of books matches and even goes beyond the scope I describe, but obviously with a totally different story format and a completely different tone (although equally entertaining to me!).

There's so much to say, but whenever I think to describe these books I'm lost for adjectives, Tolkien's works are crucial to the adventure genre and deserve the reverence and respect they command.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the King.