Leone's Reviews > The Ruby In The Smoke

5932003
Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from August 09 to 11, 2011

I really liked this book. As usual Pullman has authentic characters, female and male, and builds a unique and interesting story. This is a book I would give to a boy or girl starting in grade five and up. While the story and the premise is quite dark, filled with murder, deceit, and drugs, it's kept very light because it doesn't dwell in these places. The main character, Sally Lockheart, is very straightforward and headstrong and moping isn't like her. The story, while complicated in sections, moves quickly. It's neat to read about the life in the life and development in that time.

Great villain- as usual for Pullman. Lots of darkness but humour as well with the villain, which is how I like them.

I think one problem is the mass amount of male characters by the end. It's hard to keep track of all their names and what they look like, since the book is told from an omniscient viewpoint.

It is not as good as the Dark Material trilogy. I think there is a connection that is lacking with the main character, even though she's very interesting and unique. She seems to lack flaws- she's a tad bit perfect. There's an attempt to say that she's 'shy' around other people but she seems to manage perfectly. Maybe she will develop more as the series continues. I've already started the second one in the series. I ruined part of it by accidentally reading the back of the fourth one- thinking it was the second one. Do not read the back of the books! But yes, some of the story is a little bit too 'neat'- like Neil Gaiman's Stardust- everything just falls into place just a little too conveniently for me to not grimace my lips at times but the story is good enough to keep me going.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruby In The Smoke.