Julia's Reviews > Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson

Aug 02, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011

This book was on the nightstand in a friend's guest room where I stayed recently - its natural habitat, I suppose; where else would you expect to find a book like this?

I read it over breakfast and it offers a bunch of tips on cultivating acceptance and loving kindness:

-Imagine an irritating person as a tiny infant and then as a 100-year-old (OK, this made me tear up);
-When someone criticizes you, start by agreeing with them (valuable skill!);
-Nurture a plant - talk to the plant, tell it you love it (I thought about the lavender struggling for life on my kitchen windowsill and promised it that I would do better?)

There's a fair number of vaguely condescending and obnoxious parables from the author's own life, and I'll be disregarding his repeated suggestion to wake up at 430am to write and meditate (glad it works for you, though, buddy!)

If you've been to a yoga class or flirted with meditation, a lot of this will probably sound familiar or maybe even be second nature to you already, but it's a nice book and I felt a little more loving and kind after reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.