Kyle's Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Aug 02, 2011

bookshelves: arc, classroom-library, read-in-2011
Read in August, 2011

I was hooked by this book about a third of the way in. It took a little while for me to get into it, but once the murders began, the plot picks right up and cruises along until the end. As in, the last two nights I was reading it, I planned on going to bed early, but I couldn't because I just had to keep reading. I don't normally read thrillers, but it's Maureen Johnson, so I had to.

Rory is the main character (Gilmore Girls reference?), a high schooler who is spending time at a boarding school in London. I really liked "seeing" London through her eyes and reading her thoughts about British culture and mannerisms. With Ms. Johnson's great descriptions of the setting, it was easy to imagine that it was me there in the boarding school (although I would have left after the first murder). The book did get scary/creepy in some parts, but I am a baby when it comes to stuff like that, so it may not have been as scary as I imagine. This book will be part of a series, so I will definitely be reading the others and finding out what happens to Rory and the other characters.

Oh, and if you do not follow Maureen Johnson on twitter, you need to. She is HILARIOUS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

08/29/2011 page 239