Nelly's Reviews > Drowning Ruth

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Aug 05, 11

Read from August 02 to 05, 2011

This is just the type of book I most enjoy reading. It's a "twisted family drama," spanning three generations, with secrets and guilt and tragedies. The relationships between the women in the story are central to the plot and I liked the way Schwarz juxtaposed the positions of the protagonists from one generation to the next. (There are two generations of centrally connected mothers and daughters who end up paralleling each other throughout the novel, which goes back and forth in time.) One is awkward while the other is graceful, one is insecure while the other is self-assured, one is lonely and clingy while the other is popular and easy to love. Schwarz has wonderful insight into people and expertly weaves the complex personalities of her characters.

The one thing that kept me from giving this book 5 stars is the lack of suspense, even though the book's written to indicate that it's supposed to be a slowly revealed mystery of a tragic event and everything stemming form it. I think it could have been very easy for the author to withhold mentioning a name in one particular point in the story as well as to eliminate one of the lead male characters finding out a twisted version of "the truth" (as that part seemed only necessary to get rid of him when he wasn't needed anymore) and that would have lead to a big reveal at the very end and that, "Ooohhh!!!!" moment that is so lacking for the reader. But I suppose the mystery aspect of the story isn't nearly as important as the relationship aspect, so I feel this was still a read worth my time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowning Ruth.