Jody Mena's Reviews > The Egyptian

The Egyptian by Mika Waltari

Aug 02, 11

A most remarkable tale of the dangers of fanaticism, the comfort of the familiar suffering, the superiority of wanting to having, the pitfalls of pride and the often hideous reality of human nature - the basest aspects of which we are so eager to ignore, thereby allowing to grow greater that the noble, which we fixate on desperately in order to assuage our collective shame as we keep our heads purposefully buried in the sand. This is a magnificent fable, and I believe its moral, if it were to have just one, would be "The road to hell is paved at every step with the best of intentions." Or perhaps "No man knows what tomorrow will bring" or "All was written in the stars before the day of my birth." Sinuhe certainly thought so. The irony in the fact that Sinuhe, the true heir to the throne, was the only one that did not try to take it by force while all manner of userpers believed they had the right to be Pharoh, and that he ended up miserable for the fact that he tried to do good and spread justice, is perfectly poetic as it holds a mirror up to the human condition. I do adore irony, and I love honesty, which this book held in full measure, I think. I have never read another book quite like this one. It may well become my favorite, and anyone who knows me will know that that is saying something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egyptian.