Jody Mena's Reviews > Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred

Necronomicon by Donald Tyson

Jun 01, 2015

bookshelves: fiction

Fantastically dark and thrilling! This was a wonderful reworking and exposition of the world painted in the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. I loved the way the book was organized as a sort of travel guide crossed with a narrative; as I read, I felt as though I was right there with Alhazred, and also as though I could go to the places described, see the shocking and wonderous sites depicted, and do these shocking, fascinating and monumental things if I so desired. This fascination, coupled with the very casual way in which various atrocities are treated (such as human sacrifice, torture, cannibalism, etc), and indeed the very casual way the wonderous aspects of the journey are treated, project a feeling of conspiracy, as though you're being let in on arcane secrets. Basically, if you let yourself get drawn into the book, it's a wild and chilling ride for the imagination. Fans of Lovecraft's stories will particularly enjoy it, but even someone who's never read Lovecraft could have a great time with this book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Necronomicon.