Jody Mena's Reviews > Wild Ones, Vol. 1

Wild Ones, Vol. 1 by Kiyo Fujiwara

Aug 02, 11

The premise of this story is cliche at first glance: the granddaughter of the yakuza boss and the boss's underling fall in love, even though it's forbidden for them to be together. But what makes this story so great, I think, is that it manages to take the old cliche and make it unique and entertaining. Rakuto is not your typical shady delinquent, nor is Sachie your typical spoiled, bad girl ane-san type (though she is respectably tough!) which is also part of the charm, even if it occasionally feels a bit unrealistic. The setting of Asagi-jii-chan's family compound is a bit unrealistic as well, with all the kind-hearted gangsters and such, but it really makes for a cute, funny and heartwarming story. I really liked the twist that Rakuto has loved Sachie ever since they were young, even though she never even knew who he was; it explains why he took to her so quickly, and its such a very sweet, shoujo plot twis, I can't help but be moved. I wonder if the shoplifting boy will turn up again? These sorts of stories always have a rival for the heroine's affections, and since he turned up more than once, he might be it; plus, his reaction to her was strange, so I have a feeling he's got a back story that we will get to learn in some capacity as the series continues. I'm really quite taken with this story, I look forward to reading future volumes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Ones, Vol. 1.