Jody Mena's Reviews > Jane Addams: Spirit in Action

Jane Addams by Louise W. Knight

Aug 02, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction

A fascinating, multifaceted account of the life of an extraordinary woman! I knew Jane Addams was an important figure in turn-of-the-century politics and social reform, but I had no idea just how MUCH she contributed and accomplished in her life. I was thrilled and inspired as I turned each page, inspired by this woman who literally changed the world - several times over - in an era when women could not even vote. A wonderful thing about this biography was that it richly combined Addams history and accomplishments with her personal life, thoughts and feelings, gleaned from her writings, and presented it all on a backdrop of the social events and climates within which she made her mark on the world. Several times I was actually moved to tears as her courage and vision leaped off the page. She really is someone that I admire deeply, and her example makes me want to be a better woman. I highly recommend this book to everyone, Jane Addams was a major key the in shaping the world we now live in, and was also a truly remarkable human being!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Addams.

09/12/2016 marked as: read