Mainon's Reviews > You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool

You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl by Celia Rivenbark

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, nonfiction

So Celia Rivenbark is reasonably funny, I'll give her that. I feel like somewhere I've heard her compared to Dave Barry, and that seems pretty accurate to me. I enjoyed this more than the other comedy novels I've read recently -- My Booky Wook and Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea are the ones that come to mind. But it wasn't genius; she's no Erma Bombeck, who used to have me crying with laughter just by describing her adventures with wearing a girdle to the movie theater. Still, if you're looking for a really light, breezy, funny read in the style of a stand-up comic, you could do much worse than this.

My favorite part? Her asking David Sedaris to do a blurb for her book, because come on, it's the same genre! They're on the same side!

Note: I received this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl.