Ezmirelda's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: wishlist, may-release, romance, dystopian, 4-stars, 2012, books-i-own, sophomore-novel, dystopian-2012
Recommended for: Divergent fans

I think it’s best to start off this review with some of my thoughts on Divergent. Refreshingly different. Downright exhilarating. It was the most memorable novel I read that year amongst the hundred or so books I was also reading at the time. Reading Insurgent brought back my ardent feelings for Divergent but left me feeling a somewhat…dry in the aftermath. I realize that this is a sophomore novel and that most of the time they end up becoming filler spaces for the third book, but I was not expecting it to happen with Divergent. I guess I was expecting a little bit more…? That lack of that extra “something” is my reason for this being a 4 star.

Trice is the same firecracker she was in the first book. An impulsive risk-taker with her adrenaline where her brain should be half of the time. I enjoyed every bit of her risk-taking moments even though they were discouraged in the book. I know Trice is not supposed to be too impulsive, but after awhile I got tired of seeing female protagonists in YA novels being left out of fights for their protection. It’s way too common and I’m sick of it. If there’s an important battle/fight going on Trice is in it. I’m glad I do not have to read through some angst-filled monologue of how the protagonist wishes she was strong enough to go. Good for you Trice!

The romance in Insurgent is on and off. Sometimes steamy and other times cold. If you’re one of those people (me included) who pay extra attention to the romance plots in a book do not expect much of that in Insurgent. The romance between Trice and Tobias (Four) is there. It’s beautiful. I had my oooohh and awww moments but it’s not something that’s heavily focused on. There are so many other things going on in this book. The ending of Insurgent to me is what brought on the “dry” feeling. The climax of the novel had the potential to be amazing and induce me in a heart-throbbing mixture of nervousness and excitement. But it didn’t. SPOILER: When Jeanine died I felt nothing. The way it’s described makes it sound like they just swatted a fly away or something. No resistance or anything. For someone who caused them so much trouble I expected a little bit more going on in the scene when they finally capture her.

While Insurgent suffers from a case of sophomore-ritis and feels more like a filler than anything else, it kept me entertained and renewed my interest in the faction-run government that I feel in love with in Divergent. Trice’s character grows a lot in Insurgent and I’m really excited to see how much more she will change in the third book in the series. I recommend Insurgent to anyone who really enjoyed reading Divergent.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Ezmirelda Liked

Veronica Roth
“He slides his hand over my cheek, one finger anchored behind my ear. Then he tilts his head down and kisses me, sending a warm ache through my body. I wrap my hands around his arm, holding him there as long as I can. When he touches me, the hollowed-out feeling in my chest and stomach is not as noticeable.”
Veronica Roth, Insurgent

Veronica Roth
“He kisses me again, more insistent this time, his hands squeezing my waist. His breaths, his body, my body, we are so close there is no difference.”
Veronica Roth, Insurgent

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mary Ann :O i am soo siked!!! i can't wait either ;(

Ezmirelda Mary wrote: ":O i am soo siked!!! i can't wait either ;("

The anticipation is killing me!! Probably will re-read Divergent while I'm waiting.

Mary Ann *sigh*i owned my own copy i would to :)

TL your getting me excited to read Divergent now :)

Ezmirelda Terri wrote: "your getting me excited to read Divergent now :)"

Try it out. It's a pretty entertaining read. :)

TL Kolleen got me it for my birthday... I got a few more ahead I gotta read first :) (plus Carlos Ruiz Zafon's new book is out July 10th, whoo!)

Ezmirelda Terri wrote: "Kolleen got me it for my birthday... I got a few more ahead I gotta read first :) (plus Carlos Ruiz Zafon's new book is out July 10th, whoo!)"

Lol, i know how you feel! I had to push this 10 books up on my TBR pile just to read it. Wow what a great birthday present. I got my copy on my birthday too! May 19th. :D

TL Haha, I just read whatever calls to me at the time :)

Nice! Mine's May 17th