Vanessa's Reviews > Wind, Sand and Stars

Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Aug 02, 2011

There is something so beautiful yet hauntingly sad about this adventure story-memoir. Its prose is so lyrical, the words so beautifully strung together that I found myself reading and rereading certain passages over and over again, enchanted. I wish I could write like that! Even though it was written by a pilot and covered his adventures as one, this book engages the reader in what amounts to a philosophical conversation that I, for one, was happy to be a part of. What a life he had! His adventures...his exploration of and foray into places I will never see...and the way he recounts them are truly unforgettable and will mesmerize. And his bravery in the face of challenges I hope never to face are nothing short of inspiring. On the whole, this book made me at once happy and sad for the human condition. While our resilience in the face of tragedy and adversity is something to be proud of, here we are with our struggles which seem to repeat themselves one generation to the next; here we are with our wars. The book touches on so much. It was more than a joy to read, it is truly food for the soul!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wind, Sand and Stars.