Emily's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Aug 02, 2011

Read on August 01, 2011

Overall I really enjoyed this book, although I do have a few bones to pick. I read it over the course of a single day, so it was pretty intense. It's short enough (210 pages?) that a one-day reading is possible.

The premise of the book had me interested, and the first two sections (which take place in Room) were compelling. The high action (I'm trying to avoid spoilers) had my heart POUNDING, and I usually don't get that excited when I'm reading, so I think that says something! The final few sections were slower and didn't keep my attention quite as well, but I liked how everything wrapped up in the end.

Issues I had: first, the set-up, and the villain - the reason they're in the room in the first place - is a little too one-dimensional. I know it was a short book, but I would have appreciated more background on the crime and the bad guy. In fact, many of the characters are pretty simplistic, apart from Jack. Another thing that bothered me was Jack's voice as he narrated. I liked how it conveyed the way he saw the world, but his five-year-old grammar often seemed a little forced, and contrasted weirdly with his advanced vocabulary. Not the end of the world, just jarring once in a while.

Conclusion? Very good book. Glad I read it, definitely made me think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.