Matt D's Reviews > The End of Poverty

The End of Poverty by Jeffrey D. Sachs

M_50x66
Aug 02, 11

Jeffry Sachs presents a remarkably hopeful case for the eradication of extreme poverty (defined as note having adequate nutrition, housing, or clothing day-to-day) in our lifetimes. It may be a story we are reluctant to hear because as long as we believe the problem is too big to handle, we can let ourselves off the hook. The resources needed are far less than most people might think, and they are well within reach of the developed world. All that is required is the willingness to choose to solve the challenges of extreme poverty. Sachs does not advocate a handout nor does he propose a one-size-fits-all aid program. Instead, he calls for intelligent, patient, and persistent aid that will enable those currently in need to make progress on the economic ladder. In an age of increasing globalization, it seems extremely unlikely that the comfort of the developed world can remain isolated from the extreme poverty of more than 1 billion people. This book asks the reader to embrace the surprisingly feasible challenge of the eradication of extreme poverty. A must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Poverty.