Christi Snow's Reviews > Ashes of Midnight

Ashes of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Aug 04, 11

Read from July 31 to August 01, 2011

My Review:
For some reason, this book felt really different to me than the other Midnight Breed stories. I don't know if it's because Andreas has never been one of my favorite characters or if it was because he had his own agenda to fulfill throughout the majority of this novel. He is totally focused on revenge and his talent, pyrokynesis, is completely out of control and quite honestly, he really doesn't care about that...as long as he doesn't hurt Claire.

This is a tough book for me to review. The book is just as good as any of the other Breed novels...lots of suspense, lots of romance, lots of action, and all of it really well-written. I simply did not connect to either of these characters or where they were going mentally, so it wasn't a book that I adored.

Andreas is filled with rage, but his love for Claire still manages to break through that haze of madness. It's been 30 years and his love is still strong and never-ending. Talk about true love....this is the real deal.

Claire has another mate, but it has never been a love match. She is terrified of what Andreas has become, but she cannot let him die. She too is still very much in love with him...at least the boy that she remembers. She's not too sure that boy is still within this rage infected man.

Both of them have been affected by their 30 year separation and it says a lot about their love that it is just as strong as it was, if not actually stronger because they are adults now, not the young innocent kids that they were. They both have suffered huge emotional trauma from their separation. It was amazing to me at how quickly they reconnected and rebuilt their relationship even with the rage that Andreas is suffering. I enjoyed this look into the mating process of the Breeds from the aspect of Claire who is mated to someone that she doesn't love or even like. I can't imagine having that kind of emotional tie to someone when you aren't in love. It definitely becomes a weapon rather than an act of love at that point. It provided an interesting twist to the idea of mates.

Like I said, this was not one of my favorite books in the series, but I enjoyed the glimpses that we saw into the Order and how life is changing more and more as the spouses come into their lives. I am still completely fascinated by Hunter and cannot wait for his story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes of Midnight.