Giuliana's Reviews > Inés of My Soul

Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende

Aug 02, 11

Knowing virtually nothing about Chile, let alone Chilean and Spanish history, I was glad to learn about it by reading this book. The thing is, the writing didn't exactly transport me. Allende is a good writer, but the writing and/or translation is a bit clunky. Maybe if I could read Spanish, I might have liked the original better. Some of the plot points were under developed; this may have to do with Allende's having to fill out and conjecture what may have happened based on the presumably dry facts she did uncover. There are a lot of repetitious battles scenes and a couple of graphic sex scenes, but nothing that transports the reader. The central character was a strong and interesting woman, and I'm always happy to read about historical women of note. This was a good launching point for me to eventually read more about Spain, and the founding of the Americas, but ultimately unsatisfying. This was the first of Allende's books that I read, I think my next one should probably be the House of the Spirits.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inés of My Soul.