Bill Dauster's Reviews > Super Sad True Love Story

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Aug 02, 2011

“Super Sad True Love Story” is a clever, trenchant satire of our near future, poking fun at homeland security, social network communication, corporate culture, the degradation of language, youth obsession, first-generation-immigrant sensibilities, delusions of inferiority, religious observance, the coarsening of fashion, fiscal irresponsibility, privatization of state functions, bipartisanship, our portable computers, and senseless infatuation. None comes out unassailed. Shteyngart does it all with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Particularly delectable is the Orwellian requirement that state violations of civil rights be met with a response of denial that it happened and implication that the victim consent to the violation: Citizen are thus regularly called upon to “deny and imply.” Warning: Some of the language is foul. Summing up one theme, Shteyngart has a character say, “Reading is difficult. People just aren't meant to read anymore. We’re in a post-literate age. You know, a visual age.” And he aptly and amusingly warns of the untoward consequences of such a society's failure of literacy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sad True Love Story.

03/01/2016 marked as: read