Jessica Gadziala's Reviews > Lady of Avalon

Lady of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Aug 01, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, adult-sci-fi-fantasy, historical-fiction

Following where The Forest House left off, Caillean flees with the young Gawen and establishes a life on the isle of Avalon. After that story comes to its end we follow Dierna and her young priestess Teleri. Then in the third part of the book, we get to watch the young Viviane (from the incredible Mists of Avalon) grow and we finally get a bit of insight into how she became what she was.

Perhaps the most slow-moving of the Avalon books I have read thus far... at times boring... at times leaving you feeling cheated out of the most interesting facts. Somewhat like The Forest House, too much emphasis was on the battle and not enough on Avalon and the priestesses. The highlight of the book was, of course, the part about Viviane because she was such a mysterious character in The Mists of Avalon (at times terrible, at times intriguing) but, again, I felt cheated out of knowing more about her as this was a very short section of the book.

For a lover of Marion Zimmer Bradley and her twist on the Arthurian legends... a must read of course. But I suggest not reading the books in chronological order lest you feel disappointed before you even reach the masterpiece that is The Mists of Avalon.
f

P
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady of Avalon.