Karene's Reviews > The Queen of Attolia

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Aug 01, 11

Read in July, 2011

It's such a breath of fresh air when a series actually gets better as it progresses. Hooray! This book was fantastic. I think my biggest complaint is actually with the back cover...it pretends to be subtle, but gives away the biggest surprise of the book when it says that "his greatest triumph--as well as his greatest loss--can only come if he succeeds in capturing something the Queen of Attolia may have sacrificed long ago." Hmm. What could they possibly mean by THAT?! Anyway, that being said, it's possible that the seed thus planted enabled me to believe in the plot twist when it occurred, otherwise it may have seemed a little far-fetched. Instead I was watching for it all along and could see the foreshadowing along the way that I may have missed otherwise.

I love Eugenides. His is a well developed, interesting character. I didn't get him in the first book, but here he starts to become something magnificent. Turner does all her characters well in this book, which I didn't think was the case in The Thief. I spent an entire book with Gen and the magus and didn't feel like I got a peek into their heads until Book 2. But I would say it's well worth reading the first in order to get into the second.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Attolia.

message 1: by Jjjrhansen (new)

Jjjrhansen I did warn you not to read the covers :-)

Karene Yeah, but I thought you meant just not to read the cover of the next one until you finished the previous one. It seems like spoilers shouldn't make it onto the back covers of books, but they often do anyway!