Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)'s Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Review posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2011/08/book-review-moon-called-mercedes.html

In a world full of vampires, werewolves, and faeries, Mercy (Mercedes) Thompson stands alone. She is what is called a skinwalker, she can change into a coyote at will. She is a mechanic and due to her job, she has plenty of friends in all sorts of interesting and paranormal circles. One day she is approached by a boy named Mac who is a werewolf, but doesn’t want to be a werewolf. So she helps him by taking him to the alpha, Adam. If anyone can help, it is him. But helping him comes with a price when she finds out the boy is in trouble and that trouble is led right to Adam’s doorstep and big problems including the kidnapping of his daughter, Jesse. Mercy has to go through her past and visit old friends to help and soon finds out the trouble might be closer to her than she thinks.

FINALLY! I have finally started one of the most talked about Urban Fantasy series out there. I was very curious about Mercy and even more curious about this Adam guy that has been mentioned everywhere. Well, I can gladly say I see why this series is so talked about. We are given so much; I didn’t want it to end. I got the audiobook version, read by Lorelei King, who was incredible. I applaud the woman for the accents she took on. She sounded very authentic. I am definitely going to look out for more narrations by her. Nonetheless, I have listened to this twice already and it was just as exciting the second time around.

Mercy is an amazing heroine. She has a great sense of humor and she is tough as nails. Doesn’t take crap from anyone even if they are faster and stronger than her. Adam is definitely my new book boyfriend. His sense of humor was a tad bit dark and he was a bit uptight, but I loved that he always watches over his own and is tough as hell. The man nearly had his ribs torn out of his body and he still kept kicking some ass. Werewolf or not, that is pretty incredible. I also loved the friendship between Mercy and Adam’s daughter, Jesse. They were really fun together. I loved how they were always talking about pranking Jesse’s dad. This book was actually full of very strong characters. I like that Briggs gives us a sense of everyone even the side characters. I can’t wait for more.

I love the world that is set for us. This is a world where the Fae are actually known to humans. Everyone else is worried about coming out to the world which is part of the storyline in the book. But a bigger part of the story is that certain werewolves don’t like their “monster” and someone has actually created a drug that works on werewolves to stop the change. I really enjoyed the plot in this and seeing who was really behind it all. Moon Called is so complicated without being overwhelming. Not to mention, it is action packed. Like I said, Mercy is amazing. You will be rooting for her throughout the book.

I am glad I finally got on the Mercy wagon and I sure as hell am not going to fall off anytime soon. Moon Called is an amazing Urban Fantasy book. There is a little romance, but it is far from the focus of it all. But I am looking forward to see the progression of that. I love Mercy and Adam together and I really want to see what is to come of Samuel, someone from Mercy’s past who is helping track down the killers/kidnappers. But if you are looking for an action packed book that is difficult to put down, then look no further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.