Mickey's Reviews > Adam Bede

Adam Bede by George Eliot

Aug 01, 2011

Read from August 01 to 24, 2011

My love affair with George Eliot continues. Adam Bede was Eliot's first book, though it was written when she was almost forty years old.

From the beginning, Eliot had all the things that makes her so remarkable: her descriptions are so vivid and tangible, her characterization is absolutely the best I've ever read, her knowledge and understanding of human nature are uncanny.

One of my favorite characters is actually Arthur Dunnithorne. He is such a child who has dreams of being a great leader that is well-respected and loved. He is so immature in a heartbreaking way. He comes into his inheritance just as the scandal breaks, which ruins his chances of ever living on his estate. Both he and Hetty are doomed to wander aimlessly in unfamiliar terrain. It is like a banishment in ancient times-a real punishment that a modern person can't relate to.

The scene with Hetty and Dinah in the cart, moving towards the execution was so powerful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adam Bede.

08/07/2011 page 21
3.0% "The dialect is something that I'm going to have to get used to. I pretty much have to say it out loud to figure out what people are saying to each other, which means that there are limitationss to where I can read this book."
08/15/2011 page 186
30.0% "I just read the first chapter of the second book. The most stunning defense of realistic (as opposed to idealistic or stylistic) characterization I've ever read. She's amazing. That she did it in her first novel, before people started criticizing her for it just reinforces the idea that she was on some other higher plane than the rest of us."
08/21/2011 page 271
43.0% "Provincial England has never been described so well. I love the emphasis placed on the weather and the small town community feels less restricting than with other authors. I'm starting to get far enough into the plot to see possible conflicts between characters, but GE is completely unpredictable. I'll wait and see what she has in store for everyone."
08/22/2011 page 363
58.0% "I can see the train wreck of the marriage betweeen Adam and Hetty in the proposal scene. Intimately knowing each character's motivations and reasonings doesn't lessen the build-up of tension."
08/24/2011 page 419
67.0% "The plot is starting to resemble a Sir Walter Scott book that I read (I can't remember the name). I'm surprised that Eliot would come out with something so similar? Is it about the same case or were there many cases like this? Even in particulars, it is the same. Not that GE should be read for her plot anyway, but, at the moment, I'm disappointed at the similarities."
show 7 hidden updates…