Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > I Burn for You

I Burn for You by Susan Sizemore

Apr 22, 08

bookshelves: 2008, paranormal, vampires
Read in April, 2008

I didn't enjoy this one as much as I wanted to. It's a fast read, and the writing is confident and smooth, but I felt like sometimes it moved too fast, and the main characters were a little detached, especially during the sex scenes, which weren't as intimate as I'd like. I didn't buy that Alec loved her, I didn't really buy any of their emotions.

I liked the take on vampires - with the Clans taking medicine and serums so they can move about during the day and not be susceptible to garlic etc., but it seemed to get interesting at the end when Alec's difficult sister Flare made her narky comment about a woman's place in clan and it completely distracted me from the zest and zing that was apparently going on.

There was just too much distance, and the author didn't seem particularly invested in the romantic side of things. Otherwise, it would have been one of the better novels in the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Burn for You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Interesting. I am reading this one right now myself! But I am not as happy with the writing as you were. It seems choppy to me and the dialogue is not realistic and also choppy. But I am getting used to it (I'm on page 89 at the moment), so it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

Keep in mind I know why I feel this way. I just finished an awesome Emma Holly novel, and her sentences and dialogue are the best IMO. So I know it isn't fair to compare this novel to one of hers. However I do find the vamp story intriguing like you said. Hope I like the sex scenes better than you did (yikes!).

Will you read the next novel in this series? I will, I think, just to give it a fair shot. So many of my friends rave about this series. But I am becoming totally spoiled on good erotica, so we shall see. I do love the intense sexual tension throughout this one, so I am hopeful.

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Paranormal Romance and Erotica Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (to read excerpts from my novel series)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Well, you're not wrong about her writing (I liked all your comments in your own review), but all I meant was that Sizemore wrote with confidence. I don't know how else to put it. I didn't pick up on anything outside of the plot because I had just had all my wisdom teeth out and was doped up on meds and was struggling to keep my eyes open at all, let alone take note of the finer details! (Am still not fully recovered.)

No doubt if I read it again I'd have a different impression, but whether better or worse - who knows? I just wanted to read something light and entertaining with sauce, and it did and yet didn't fit the bill.