Andrea's Reviews > Sarah, Plain and Tall

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Aug 01, 11

Warning... spoilers ahead!

Short and sweet, I read this book in a single sitting. Anna, the narrator, lives with her father, Jacob, and brother, Caleb, in what I affectionately refer to as "one of the square states in the middle." Anna's mother died the day after Caleb was born. Years later, Anna has learned to take care of household tasks, and the family is getting along fine. But something is still missing. At dinner one night, Jacob tells the children that he advertised in the newspaper for a wife, and has received an answer. Sarah arrives from Maine in a few months, with a cat named Seal and tales of a life near the sea. The children fear that Sarah will miss the sea too much to stay, but in the end, Sarah decides that she would miss the family more, and stays.

A wonderful, touching, sweet book. I'd recommend it to any child who is trying to come to terms with a new person in their single parent's life as an example of what is possible.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah, Plain and Tall.