Megan Larson's Reviews > Fit for Life

Fit for Life by Harvey Diamond

Aug 01, 2011

bookshelves: how-to, science
Recommended for: People who eat. :)
Read in July, 2011

4.5 out of 5 stars

I had had it with the way my family and I were eating. After having our third child, it seemed that the things we used to care about got thrown out the window, and nutrition was one of those things. While I was waiting for a prescription one day I decided to browse the local used bookstore for a book that could remind me of what I'd forgotten, and maybe also teach me something new. Amidst a pile of fad diet books and programs customized to just one special subset of humanity, I found this book, glistening with the toothy grins and big 80's hair of Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. The accolades plastered across the cover for being the number one ever best-selling diet and nutrition book, as well as the long-term implications of the title, instilled more confidence in me than any of the other books I saw. Also, it was $3.80. I brought it home.
What I found as I began to read was incredible. Harvey manages to explain the design of our bodies, and particularly the digestive system, in a way that imparts wonder and even awe. As I read, I began to understand the amazing machine inside me. With a fat scientific bibliography, he explains what the various foods we eat do to that amazing machine, and it is absolutely startling. While all he said rang true, the implications were a bit intimidating. It meant changing a LOT about the way I'd always eaten, and the way our society teaches us to eat. What about the four food groups? What about how our bodies get protein? Calcium?
I needed more, especially since the book is as old as I am. Further research led me to another amazing book called The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, the foremost book in diet and nutrition today. What can I say? The Diamonds knew their stuff. I heartily recommend both books. The 30-day detoxification menu plan in the second half of Fit for Life is full of really delicious recipes that help you to transition smoothly, despite the HUGE paradigm shift you're experiencing. My husband and I have not felt deprived in the least, and are viewing food in a much healthier way now. Better yet, we've lost a combined 20 pounds in two weeks and are feeling truly healthful, a big change.

11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fit for Life.