Misty's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 12, 11

Read from August 01 to 12, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is one of those books that you just hate to put down. From the very first page I was hooked. I never felt bored throughout the entire book. It always kept my attention which is part of the reason it is worthy of five stars. As a native of Mississippi--born and raised here--I was intrigued to read a book set in our lovely state. The author did a wonderful job of portraying a difficult and sometimes violent era in Mississippi's history. I laughed, I cried, I glared (yes I glared at a book....hush)and I ended up falling in love with this book and it's characters....well....except for Hilly Holbrook. I have to say Hilly has been one of the most despicable characters I have ever encountered in a book. I wanted to wring her neck for being so vindictive, cruel, petty, and downright awful. The synonyms could go on and on and on for her. The sad thing is, I have known people exactly like her in my lifetime.

I loved how the author gave us so many voices in one book. It doesn't always work with every book but it did here. I love those books that have different points of view when it's necessary. I enjoy reading about what's going on in the lives of other characters. I adored the interactions between Aibileen and Mae Mobley. They were some of the most tender moments in the book.

I felt a kinship to Skeeter. She dared to be different and go against the norm even when she knew it could turn her friends and a vast majority of Southern society as a whole against her. She had integrity, determination and guts!

Minny, oh Minny, I laughed and laughed at her. Her fierce spirit and her, sometimes, mischievousness reminds me of my mother. That might be why I loved this character. I love how she does end up bonding with Celia somewhat even though she fights it so fiercely. I can just imagine them years down the road as old ladies and the best of friends rocking on the front porch enjoying their sweet tea and conversation.

Another great touch to this book was the author's personal story in the back. It was nice to see her share that, to see that some of the situations in the book had personally touched her life. I feel that this book was a book of honor for those who survived such intensely difficult times to press forward and fight for a brighter future for their descendants.

This one has definitely earned its spot on my list of all time favorites. I am glad that I got a chance to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

08/01/2011 page 3
08/03/2011 page 50
11.0% "LOVE IT! I absolutely love it when I am enamored with a book from the very first page. It's actually a rarity but this one.....wow....it's such a great book."
08/04/2011 page 60
13.0% "How many more times can I say it? Love this book SO MUCH! It's been amazing from the very first page!"
08/07/2011 page 200
44.0% "One word...AMAZING!"
08/10/2011 page 300
67.0% "I'm almost finished!! Wish I had time to just sit down and read and read and read until I could just get it finished :)"
08/11/2011 page 344
76.0% "I'm almost finished!!!"