Leonor (Ner)'s Reviews > Shadowfell

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier

Aug 01, 2011

bookshelves: juliet-marillier, 2012-reading-challenge, fantasy, read-in-pt, romance, favourite, review
Recommended for: EVERYONE!!!
Read from November 09 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** When founding out about the book:
OMG!!!
I'm just so excited about a new series from the Master herself!!!

After reading the book:
Why do you do this to me, Juliet?! Why?!

The Review:

Also published in "A Cup of Coffee and a Book"

Well, you all know (and if you don’t, now you do) that I’m a HUGE fan of Julie Marillier. I love her work so much her books are my babies, my precious and I never, but NEVER lend them to anyone apart from my mother. Her books are on my restricted-shelf and they never, NEVER leave my bedroom without my consent. So, as you can see, I’m one of those who, when find out a new book of the Master is coming out, does everything she can to have it.

However, loving the Master so much doesn't mean I can’t review her book with honesty. On the contrary, it’s because I love her work and highly respect her, I feel absolutely free to say exactly what’s on my mind concerning one of her novels.

But, let all this nonsense behind and let’s move on to what’s important here: Shadowfell!

SHADOWFELL!!!!

First, I have to say I was really surprised with how fast the Portuguese translation was and how good it was. I hope this means that my country will start publishing books with only some months interval and not a whole year (or two) as is common. And, for the Portuguese fans who are reading this, the translation wasn't using that awful thing we all know called “Orthography Accord” which I’m completely against.

This book tells the story of Neryn (I do like to think Juliet got based on my nickname- Ner as in Nerwen - for the main character’s name), a newly orphan young woman who journeys throughout Alban in search of this secret place ruled by rebels called Shadowfell. The land is governed by this ruthless and evil king Keldec who has forbidden the use of people’s power and any sort of contact with the Good Folk. Yes, he’s a tyrant and, even though he doesn’t appear in this book – I hated him. Well, that’s not new since I always hate the villains in every Marillier’s book.

Neryn was an amazing character. She developed in a way throughout the book that made me realise she was not the helpless girl she was in the beginning but a strong independent woman. But all female characters created and built by the Master are always an inspiration to us – women at least. They might start as some frightful, lost and weak damsel but soon they find the strength to grow and expand before our eyes. But what I liked about Neryn was her courage to face the path ahead of her not for herself but for all Alban.

Flint ... Oh Flint!!!!
Juliet is, not only my Master, but also a master when it comes to create male characters that makes you want to hug and have them for your own. Flint’s character was the sweetest thing on earth... and when I say sweetest, I truly mean it. Despite being a – goes to the Internet in search of the English word – Enforcer, he was also a rebel against Keldec. How can he survive with his dual life? I want to cuddle him. He saves Neryn and takes care of her when she’s ill; he’s patient, caring, loving, a troubled soul I want to heal... Oh, I could marry him and all the male characters from Juliet. I loved him... again, a male character from the Master who is my favourite character (no surprise here).

The ending... THE ENDING!!!!!! I’ve never suffered so much in my life with an ending. When Neryn wakes up in Shadowfell and finds that Flint is gone, I nearly had a heart-attack.

You can't do that to me... you can't!

You simply can’t do that to me Juliet... You can’t! Apart from Felix and Sibeal not being together at the end of Seer of Sevenwaters (calm down my heart), this book also didn’t had the couple together at the end of the book... and that had my heart pierced with million of tiny little shreds of pain which are still lodged here. They kiss and they said – without words – what they feel for each other but still... the pain, is... just... too.... much!!!

If I loved the book?! Hell, yah!! And here's a small parade of Onion Heads to prove that to you:

Okay, I think you guys got the idea :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfell.

Quotes Leonor (Ner) Liked

Juliet Marillier
“Every man or woman who makes a stand helps keep the flame of freedom burning.”
Juliet Marillier, Shadowfell