Lyndz's Reviews > Spin the Plate: a Novel

Spin the Plate by Donna Anastasi

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, own, reviewed
Read from August 17 to 22, 2011

Spin the Plate is a good little weekend read.
I was worried that I would be put off by the “Christian themes” that this book was going to present. I do greatly appreciate being forewarned that it included a religious aspect so that I did not feel blindsided. I thought that the Christian facet of this book was not overdone and could be appreciated and even enjoyed by someone from any or no religious denomination.

Despite Anastasi being a first time novelist, I thought this was a very well told story. Spin the Plate is an empowering tale of Jo, a overweight tattoo artist who after suffering numerous sexual abuses as a child has given up on the human race. Jo tries to drown her demons in her art and animal rescue to prevent them from overtaking her daily life. Until one day she is spotted on the subway by Francis who is immediately drawn to her regardless of her tough facade. This is the story of how Jo and Francis together form an albeit unconventional yet lasting bond, and work together to conquer her past and make the world a better place.

I thought the character of Jo was intriguing and even on some levels relatable. At first impression she was mean and hard, but her love for animals really showed that she had a soft side. Studying sumo and braving the streets late at night in search of animals that needed her help, Jo truly was a warrior.

For some reason I did not really like or relate to the character of Francis. I couldn’t ever quite put my finger on exactly why not. Part of it might have been that I find it hard to believe that a strong woman like Jo would be interested in a weaker personality like Francis. But, I guess the fact that opposites attract in this book has come into play. I did like how parts of Francis’ personality complimented nicely the shortcomings in Jo’s. But regardless it was still hard for me to picture them together.

I am going to paraphrase a line from the book because I don’t have it sitting next to me to quote it word for word. But I found this amusing: ‘If I was God, with all that power at my fingertips, there would be a lot more smiting.’ That made me laugh out loud.

Anyway, all in all I thought this was a good read. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for strength to deal with past abuse.
Thank you Donna Anastasi, and Goodreads for the free copy of this book. I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spin the Plate.