Lyndz's Reviews > Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die

Going Home by Jon Katz

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, own, reviewed
Read from August 22 to 24, 2011

I won this ARC book through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you Bdreads, Jon Katz, and Goodreads.

I decided to enter to win this one because I have a 14 year old pitbull who has been an important part of my life for a long time. She has always been a special-needs girl with lots of skin and food allergy problems but as of the last few months, her age is really starting to catch up to her. I was delighted that I was chosen as one of the winners. I plan on rereading this book when it comes time to say goodbye to her.

Pet owners never get sick of sharing pictures of their furbabies. And I am not an exception, this review is a perfect excuse to share.
Here is an older & more current one:

[she is waiting for trick-or-treaters] ---------- [eating sticks in the yard]

I think that Katz did an amiable job of addressing the hard issues in this book. It is never an easy topic to breech, as he pointed out many people take losing a pet harder than losing a family member. One of the subtopics in this book that stood out to me was The Perfect Day. I loved this! I am going to put this under a spoiler tag: (view spoiler)

Katz goes on to address the importance of using your own judgment when it comes time to decide whether to euthanize or to try and postpone life with costly surgeries, medications, and procedures. There are a lot of people out there that are only too willing to give you their two cents when it comes to your pet, but in the end you are the one who has to live with the decision, so make sure it is 100% your own. He talks about the necessity of preparing yourself for the loss you know that is coming. How to express grief to others and helpful coping methods, keeping perspective, healing, and saying goodbye. Last but not least, considering getting another pet. I especially loved this chapter because I think a lot of people think that if you get a new pet to soon after the death of your loved one you are dishonoring their memory. Katz explains that this is a backwards way of thinking, there is no better way to honor the memory of your loved one than welcoming another furry friend into your life and family. Giving the new pet a great life like the one you are grieving will not only help the animal but will help with grief.
There are a lot of heartwarming stories and anecdotes from the author about his own pets that have graced his life. I loved the story of Elvis. This book is definitely a tear-jerker.

I enjoyed this, it is fairly short, it only took me a few hours to read. But, I think there is some valuable wisdom here that can help console someone who is grieving for the loss of a pet.
I would recommend this to anyone who has lost or is about to lose a beloved pet, particularly dog or cat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Home.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent My dog is turning 12 in November so I'm in the same boat. I cringe whenever her arthritis acts up.

Lyndz I am the same way with mine. This book is quite good so far at addressing this hard subject.

message 3: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Leger I'm in he same boat as well. I lost my yellow Lab not too long ago and now my black one is nearing the end. And I like Katz so I picked this up from the library today.
The pics you shared are awesome! If there wasn't so much involved I would do it myself but I can never keep it straight! lol
She's beautiful though!

Lyndz Thank you! She is a good girl. Old, but still getting around. I will look for what you think of the book when you finish it.