Erin's Reviews > Fowl Weather

Fowl Weather by Bob Tarte

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, nature-and-environmentalism, mental-health-or-lack-thereof, biography-memoir
Read from August 01 to 06, 2011

Ah well. I probably should have payed more attention to the title, "FOWL Weather". While it is still quite funny at times (I really enjoy Tarte's humor), it was difficult to feel lighthearted given the number of animal injuries and deaths, as well as the account of the steady decline of Tarte's mother into Alzheimer's. I picked this up to take a respite from life's stresses and instead found myself feeling stressed out by someone else's continuous bad fortune!! In addition, there is this strange theme that runs through the book that has to do with Tarte's supernatural encounters. I wasn't sure if some of these things were merely for laughs or actual anecdotes. It didn't quite gel with my expectation of a book chock full of stories about animals.

Though it's hard not to love Linda Tarte, his wife - just reading about her makes you want to know them both. They seem kind of nutty in a truly wonderful, life enriching way, ha! I really admire Tarte's honesty about his struggles with depression and anxiety and that was at least one welcome and pleasantly surprising element in this book.

The idiosyncrasies of the Tartes' animals and their dealings with them are the best parts of his books but there just wasn't that much here in this one. I'll probably pick up his first book, Enslaved by Ducks and read it again - it is one of my "must read" nature books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fowl Weather.

08/01/2011 page 10
3.0% "Read the first one and absolutely loved it so was delighted to find this for fifty cents at the library. This will be a fast, funny read."