Zack Parks's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Aug 01, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from October 21, 2012 to August 12, 2013

What hasn't been said about this book and its series? So many reviews are out there for this now, that I can make mine short and sweet. Jordan did a great job of world-building with this, and I can tell he was trying to just create the atmosphere and setting for the rest of the series that he had dreamed up in his head at the time. I enjoyed all the characters, who developed a pretty good bit throughout just this one book. Sure, people will point to the "farm boy finds out he's part of some big world struggle and goes on a journey with a group of people" trope or whatever (I hate the word trope), but that's the genre. It was pulled off very well here.

I thought the descriptions were just enough to give me a good idea of how everything appeared in the world, though some people could be put off by some of the possibly extraneous details. I don't remember being totally blown away by Jordan's prose, but his story and characters were great.

The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars, was the ending. Obviously it is leading you into the next book, but the last 5th or so of the book seemed rushed and kinda random. The very last part especially felt like it was just pulled out of thin air, and was highly confusing. That being said, it's still well worth reading, but you will certainly want/need to read on to the next book after finishing this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.

10/21/2012 page 137