Book Concierge's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Aug 01, 11

Read in July, 2011

Jane Hayes is so stuck on the image of Fitzwilliam Darcy that she cannot have a relationship with a “real” man. Her great aunt Caroline recognizes this, though Jane seems oblivious, and gives her a unique bequest in her will – an all-expenses-paid three-week vacation at Pembrook Park (i.e. Austenland). There Jane will live the regency period romantic fantasy that she’s held dear since she first read Pride and Prejudice at age sixteen.

I read Hale’s The Princess Academy and enjoyed it, so was expecting a decent “chick lit beach read.” This book, however, didn’t do it for me. The writing was hackneyed – for example: “The silence quivered.” Also, the lead character was just too poorly drawn. I can forgive the other cardboard characters she finds at the estate, because they are all actors playing a role (and quite poorly in some cases – e.g. Sir Templeton) and are supposed to be obvious. But Jane, herself, seems so clueless, so out of it, so one-track, that I just couldn’t stand her and really didn’t care whether she ever got her act together. Also starting the chapters with a short description of each of her past boyfriends – from age 4, no less - was just useless!

Katherine Kelgren’s reading on the CD is pretty good, considering the material she has to work with. Although her accent gets confused with Miss Charming, I think the character was written that way (she’s a Southern woman who is trying to affect a British accent and doing quite poorly at it). At least she moves right along and doesn’t drag it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.