Chris's Reviews > Sir Fartsalot Hunts the Booger

Sir Fartsalot Hunts the Booger by Kevin Bolger

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: guys-read, fantasy, adventure, humor, j, light, not-graphic

I have to admit, the only reason I read this was because I enjoyed Bolger's book Zombiekins so much and because a colleague recommended it; I was not enthusiastic about the title, thinking the humor would be much too obvious and redundant. I was pleasantly surprised to discover, then, that the book has character development, a fairly detailed plot, and some sophisticated humor subtly thrown in.

Yes, it has characters with names like Sir Fartsalot, Sir Cedric Knotaclew, and Sir Bedwetter, the kingdom of Armpit, Mount Kaboom (the dormant volcano), the crooked kingdom of Elbow, and the forest Knockon Wood. But it constantly works in less obvious things like,

"'Tis said that he slew the Tedious Boar of the Seatbeside Yew, the terror of all travelers," and

"I heard he once beat 12 trolls single-handedly in a fight." "I heard that too, only it was a dozen trolls," and

"Best spring on them while we have the ailment of surprise," and

"Ugh! You shameless stereotypes!" Gwendolyn said with disgust. Then she turned and exited the chapter in protest, and

"Turn and face your doom at the hands of Sir Fartsalot the Brave, Sir Cedric the Thick, and Prince Harry the Tougher Than He Looks." He gave Harry a wink. "As noble a quintuplet of knights as ever swung the sword!" and

"The razor-toothed, dagger-taloned, long-necked, grizzly Whatzidoodle," Sir Cedric explained. "King of the Fancy Coiffures. It was half alligator, half eagle, half giraffe, half bear, half lion, and half poodle." and many others.

Prince Harry has been apprenticed to every knight in the kingdom, but has ruined every opportunity with his constant practical joking and inability to take anything seriously. So, finally, in a desperate moment, King Reginald sends him off with traveling knight Sir Fartsalot. Over the course of their adventures, Harry learns a few things about others and himself, and grows up a bit. But only a bit.

The road from the gypsy's tent wound deeper and deeper into the forest. They turned left, then left, then left, then left, until finally they came to a place marked by a hollow oak tree. Here the path split off in two directions. A wooden sign marking the first road warned:

ENCHANTED FOREST: BEWARE OF BUGABOOS, MUMBO JUMBOS AND THINGS THAT ONLY EXIST IN YOUR IMAGINATION.

An arrow pointing the other way read:

DETOUR: LONG WAY ROUND.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sir Fartsalot Hunts the Booger.