Dija's Reviews > Hallowed

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: cover-heaven, jan-2012, wow, ya, uf-or-pnr, surprisingly-good, awww, read-in-2012, my-reviews
Read from January 24 to 25, 2012

The highly-anticipated sequel to Unearthly , Hallowed is just as great, and in a lot of ways, greater than its predecessor.

Hallowed picks up right where Unearthly left off, soon after Clara and Christian mess up their respective purposes. Clara chose Tucker, and that inevitably has consequences with the Powers That Be. More details on the angel hierarchy and history are given in this one, and the myth lover in me devoured those tidbits.

Clara is still as fantastic and wonderful in Hallowed as she was in Unearthly. She's actually better now, because she's challenged more as a character here. Her role as a best friend, half-angel, sister, and daughter are all put to test and she passes effortlessly. Even as a girlfriend, which I was a little uncertain about because of how Unearthly ended.

Speaking of, the Tucker-Clara-Christian love triangle is one of those rare ones that actually work. It didn't for a while in the middle, but it completely does by the end. This is how love triangles are supposed to be. They're supposed to be more than just about the girl and her harem; they're supposed to actually serve a purpose . I'm so happy with Hand at accomplishing this great feat, I could kiss her. Thanks to her, I've come to the realization that I don't hate love triangles per se; it's just the poorly-developed ones I've been reading recently that suck. If a love triangle is executed well, it does add a great deal of mystery and suspense to the novel.

And I have just one word for the plot: breathtaking. Especially the ending. How will I Clara ever choose between Christian and Tucker?! More importantly, will there even be any of (view spoiler) in the next book? *bites nails*

I'm really, really trying, but the possibility keeps popping up in my head.

And lastly, Clara has the hottest dad ever. Even Tucker pales in comparison, and I don't say that lightly. If this book wasn't so great in itself, I would read the next book for Clara's dad alone.

4.5/5 stars

For more reviews, visit my blog.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowed.

Quotes Dija Liked

Cynthia Hand
“Ava's not my date. I came stag."
"Stag. You. Why?"
"So my date wouldn't get offended when I wanted to dance with you," he says.”
Cynthia Hand, Hallowed

01/25/2012 page 227
56.0% "Damn you, Clara, and damn this stupid love triangle. D:<" 5 comments
01/25/2012 page 326
81.0% "What kind of Dad leaves his teenage daughter alone in her room at night with a boy and the door closed? The kind that's obviously trying his hand at matchmaking, hmm? Things just got a whole lot more interesting."

Samina ~ Escapism~ Can't wait to see how you find it Dija.

message 2: by Anzu (new)

Anzu The Great Destroyer Wtf another one?? :/

Dija @Samina: I'll let you know when I finish. :D

@Anzu: Ikr?? They're endless! *pulls hair out*

message 4: by Anzu (new)

Anzu The Great Destroyer I wanted to read this one, now I don't know what to do anymore.. I guess I'll wait for your review XD

Samina ~ Escapism~ Dija, i really wanna read bout Clara's dad now.

message 6: by Dija (last edited Jan 29, 2012 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Thanks, Sam! And Samina, her dad is amazing! You should totally read this book, if only for his hottness. ;D

@Anzu: It actually turned out great, so you should still give this series a try. It's one of the better YAs out there. 8D

Samina ~ Escapism~ I am interested in this too as they say it is one of the better angel plot line YA.
I do sometimes get crushes on totally inappropriate person in books.
I am not not a cougar.I like to get Sugar Daddies. :P

message 8: by Anzu (new)

Anzu The Great Destroyer Even though it has the nightmare? *bites her nails in fear*

Dija Read my review, Anzu. This love triangle works. I know you're dying of shock, but it's true!

Samina ~ Escapism~ Dija and love triangle? that is unheard of.This means I have to try this series.

message 11: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Hahaha. You know me too well, Samina. XD But yes, try this series! I promise you'll love it. Lots of hot guys. ;D

message 12: by Samina ~ Escapism~ (last edited Feb 01, 2012 07:27AM) (new)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Lots of hot guys? Brilliant!I am in.

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija I knew you'd be. ;)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Just say hot men and I will follow you to hell.As long as the demons are hot too ;)

message 15: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija LOL, you bet they are. Ever heard of Demonica? ;D

Samina ~ Escapism~ Yeah I have read till Wrath's book but it never made to my top reads. I am not big on PNR. I am more a UF hot guy fan.

♥Rachel♥ I love your review, Diji! You are so right about the triangle! It is done incredibly well! This book was filled with awesome! Now the tortuous wait for book 3 begins!! :)

message 18: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Thanks, Rachel! I try not to dwell on this series so much or I'll go mad with the anticipation for the sequel, LOL. Hope it all ends well and both guys get someone who'll adore them.

♥Rachel♥ I have to distract myself, as well! Thankfully when I get sucked into another book it really helps!

I hope this series doesn't end with too much heartbreak! :)

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Ikr! I loved Clara's father, and I absolutely love that he gets to come at a point in the book.

Ronyell Awesome review Dija!!! I really can't wait to read the final book also!!!